Cost of Living Resources

Are you receiving the help you are entitled to? We have put together a list of organisations offering advice and tools to help you make the most of your income. 

Welsh Government


Disability Wales

Disability Wales has a dedicated section on its website for advice on benefits, education, employment or housing:


Contact’s website has advice and information for families raising a child with additional needs. Check out its advice on cost of living support:


MoneyHelper is a free service provided by the Money and Pensions Service. Its easy-to-use bill prioritiser helps you understand which bills to deal with first, it also has advice on living on a squeezed income.



StepChange offers free debt advice. Its website has useful debt and mental health support resources.



It is worth regularly checking what benefits you are entitled to. Turn2Us has a useful Benefits Calculator and links to other sources of help.


Entitledto also offers a free benefits calculator. Enter your details and you’ll receive an estimate of your entitlement to benefits.

Citizens Advice


Carers Wales

Carers Wales offers useful advice for carers. Its money matters hub has a list of places where carers may be able to get financial support.

Older People’s Commissioner for Wales

The Older People’s Commissioner for Wales acts to protect older people’s rights. Its website has advice and information on entitlements for older people.


Phone: 03442 640 670
Care & Repair Cymru

Care and Repair helps older people to live independently. It delivers practical help to create safe, warm and accessible homes. This help can range from delivering major modifications, to offering advice and recommendations. Phone: 0300 111 3333



Disability Advice Project has food vouchers and can refer clients to local foodbanks. Please call or email us if you need help. You can also get food vouchers from Citizens Advice, GP surgeries, health visitors and social workers.

Trussell Trust Foodbanks

Trussell Trust Foodbanks provide emergency food and support in a crisis. You can find you nearest foodbank using a search tool on its website, by entering your postcode. Phone: 01722 580 180 Email:



Scope Disability Energy Support

Free energy and water advice to disabled people, helping them to manage their energy and water needs.

Warmer Wales

Warmer Wales, run by Citizens Advice, offers help to reduce your energy bills through supplier switching, insulation grants and more informed use.

Phone: 01633 876121


Nest Wales

Nest Wales provides customer focused energy advice. If you receive a means tested benefit you may be eligible for free home energy efficiency improvements like a new boiler or central heating system.

Phone: 0808 808 2244


Age Connects Wales

Age Connects Wales, in partnership with LEAP energy home visits, helps to install energy efficient products. The service is free to those in receipt of benefits. For more information email: or call 01495 769264.

Energy Saving Trust

The Energy Saving Trust offers advice on how to check bills and ways to save money.

Priority Services Register

Are you on your energy/water suppliers’ and network operator’s Priority Services Registers? This free service provides help in an emergency. For example, they could provide heating facilities if there is a power cut. If you have different companies for water, electricity and gas, you will need to sign up with each of them. You can find out what electricity network you are on by entering your postcode on the 105 website:

Warm Wales can help you get listed on Priority Services Registers. For details call 01656 747 622 or email:

Welsh Water

Welsh Water offer advice and schemes to support those who are on low income and/or benefits.


Cheaper broadband packages are available for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Tariffs start from £15 a month. 

Cheaper broadband and phone packages – Ofcom 

Broadband Savvy has produced a useful guide, How to Save Money on Broadband. It explains how you could save money, while still getting the digital connectivity you need at home.

Local Support in Gwent


Cost of Living Support | Torfaen County Borough Council

Age Connects Torfaen

Advice is available from Age Connects Torfaen at the Widdershins Centre in Sebastopol, Pontypool, on everything from planning for the future to benefit applications. Pop in or give them a call.

Phone: 01495 769264



Caerphilly Cares Team 01443 811490 or email

Blaenau Gwent

Libraries in Blaenau Gwent offer advice and a warm space for people to enjoy a hot drink, some company and access to a range of free resources. Follow this link for a list of services provided and opening times  


Newport City Council offers help with bills, finding work and accessing training. Visit:


Citizens Advice in Monmouthshire can offer support with energy advice and costs. Call your local office on:

·      Caldicot – 01291422119

·      Chepstow – 01291 622185

·      Abergavenny – 01873 856466

·      Monmouth – 01600 773297

Please call or email Disability Advice Project should you need support to check benefit entitlement or help with budgeting.

Phone: 01633 485865 


Scroll to top