What to do if you are unable to work due to ill health/disability

If you have to finish work due to ill health, then you may be able to make a claim for New Style Contribution Based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). 

You will need to obtain a fit note from your GP giving details of why you are no longer fit for work and will then need to make a claim by telephone or online – details of how to do so can be found online at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance-detailed-guide

If you are still employed and receiving Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), then you can apply for ESA up to 3 months before your SSP ends and you will then start getting ESA as soon as your SSP ends. 

You will initially receive an assessment phase rate of ESA paid fortnightly and you will be asked to undergo a work capability assessment which involves completing a form and undergoing a medical assessment. After 13 weeks of the assessment phase rate, provided your work capability assessments are concluded, you should receive a decision from the DWP about your ability to work. You should contact us for advice at this point as you may need to challenge any unfavourable decision and we can check that the decision is appropriate. 

Depending on any other income or capital that you may have, then your ESA can be topped up with Universal Credit.   

Please contact us for advice before making any claim so we can advise you appropriately.   

Scroll to top